1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My convict and parrot are mating like crazy!!!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by scarface7733, Sep 11, 2004.

1. scarface7733

scarface7733 New Member

this last month n a half my parrot cichlid and convict have mated 3 times nd produced eggs and babies. i called the fish store and they told me it was literally imossibleto harvest babies from these 2 fosh together....obviously they were wrong. why are they mating so much> and i have babies in one breeding tank but want to put the new eggs in too...the babies are not only a week old yet and the eggs were just laid today...is that a bad idea? also i went from having 20 babies down to 5 in less than 2 days...is that normal?

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

wow, you sure are lucky...the lfs was right abotu it, it is hard to get babies from those two b/c parrots in general are usually non-fertile. yea, it is normal for only the fittest to survive, in your case so far only 5 of the 10....i dont know aqbout the eggs, maybe keep them with the parents to see if they hatch before u add them in the fry tank just to make suer they will hatch? b/c worst comes to worst, the parents will watch after the fry and will protect them from you and the nets. good-luck on the fry and keep us updated. :y_the_best: .

3. needlefish1

needlefish1 New Member

yeah. fry die easily. what are u going to call the new fish?

scarface
    where are u in NJ?

4. scarface7733

scarface7733 New Member

im in the westfield area.....i have no idea what to name them...are they really as rare as you say?

5. tina1

tina1 New Member

To the best of my knowledge a parrot and convict cross is called the jellybean parrot. They are readily available in most stores and unfortunately they are almost always dyed bright colors. However, since you obviously won't be doing this to your babies you could make quite a profit on Aquabid or something. There is a strong market for undyed jellybeans :)

6. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi scarface7733, Your LFS needs to do a little more study. Tina 1 has done her homework. The Jellybean Parrot is a hybrid cross of Parrot Fish and Convict.

7. scarface7733

scarface7733 New Member

how agressive will this new jellybean cichild be?

8. tina1

tina1 New Member

Not so aggressive as other cichlids but not a community fish either. Like most cichlids their aggressiveness varies with the individual fish but I'd say they'd be comparable to the blood parrot once they're fully grown.

9. scarface7733

scarface7733 New Member

you mentioned that i can get a ll bit of money for one of these fish...how much do you think i can get for one?

10. tina1

tina1 New Member

Well I don't know how much they go for in your area but here, one jellybean parrot goes for $19.99. Now these are the dyed ones. Yours are not dyed and if you can find the correct shop or sell them online you should easily be able to sell them for $20 or more if they are a proper size like 3 or 4 inches. People like jellybean parrots IME but will not purchase them because they are dyed, the undyed ones are very hard to come by so you have quite a rare product on your hands. You just need to find a way to sell it.

I suggest www.aquabid.com if you lfs will not give you a decent price.

11. needlefish1

needlefish1 New Member

ill buy one!!!!