Public Forum Proceed to Auspet's New Discussion Forum | Pet Directory | Classifieds | Home | LinkXchange


Click here to make Auspet.com your default home page

  Auspet - Message Boards
  Cats - all types
  i read chocolate dangerous to cats

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   i read chocolate dangerous to cats
needabrk2
Member

Posts: 36
From:Knob Noster, Mo
Registered: Jan 2004

posted 03-16-2004 12:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for needabrk2     Edit/Delete Message
Is this true? My kitten ate a small peice of my sons chocolate pop tart that he dropped by accident. Now Im worried!!

IP: Logged

MaryNH
Member

Posts: 240
From:Campton, NH USA
Registered: Jan 2004

posted 03-16-2004 01:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MaryNH     Edit/Delete Message
found this info...but in poptarts I'm not sure just how much chocolate there actually is in those...I think the biggest fear would be a chocolate bar and the darker the chocolate the more cocoa there is in it...but call your vet just in case - can't hurt to know http://pets.robbiehaf.com/chocolate.htm

IP: Logged

fleafly
Member

Posts: 996
From:sheridan, wy
Registered: Aug 2003

posted 03-16-2004 04:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for fleafly     Edit/Delete Message
It is bad for dogs, I'm not sure how bad it is for cats. Dogs have to eat one ounce per pound of body weight for it to be harmful. And it has to be dark chocolate, like baker's chocolate. According to my vet a dog could eat a whole hersheys milk chocolate bar and be fine.

I'm sure that the kitten will be just fine if he just got a small piece. My cats scrounge for whatever they can get, so I know how hard it is to keep them from eating things.

IP: Logged

nern

Moderator

Posts: 1591
From:NY, USA
Registered: Oct 2002

posted 03-16-2004 05:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for nern     Edit/Delete Message
If your cat only at a small peice and it was only a chocolate flavored pop tart...I would'nt worry about it.

Here is more info on chocolate toxicity: http://www.spca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=PIC_Chocolate_Toxicity
"Chocolate contains a xanthine compound called theobromine that is toxic to dogs and cats in sufficient quantities. Semi-sweet and baking chocolate are even more dangerous to pets than milk chocolate.

Chocolate toxicity is one of the most common "poisonings" seen in veterinarian offices and can cause exitablility, irritability, increased heart rate, restlessness, increased urination, vomiting and muscular tremors or tenseness in your pet. In severe cases, seizures, cardiac arrest or even death can occur. The severity of the response depends on the size of the animal, the amount and kind of chocolate eaten and how long ago the chocolate was eaten.

Only one-half of an ounce of semi-sweet or baking chocolate can be fatal in small dogs and cats. That's two to three ounces for medium dogs and eight ounces for large dogs. For milk chocolate, the fatal amounts are four to ten ounces in small dogs and cats, one to one-and-a-half pounds in medium dogs and two to four pounds in large dogs. A small amount may not cause death but it can make pets very ill. Most dogs who overdose on chocolate will get an upset stomach with perhaps vomiting and diarrhea."

IP: Logged

FMgurl43
Member

Posts: 107
From:fort myers, fl. usa
Registered: Feb 2004

posted 03-16-2004 06:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for FMgurl43     Edit/Delete Message
i know how u feel my 3 kittens eat whatever they can find they act like they r startving even though they get free fed dry food all day and wet at night anyways my son was eating chocolate kisses the other day and my cats were going nutts trying to get it away from him i would sray them w/ water over and over again but they would still go after it... and w/ a kid in the house its hard cause they r 4ever leaving crumbs behind... my one cat teddy bear went as far as snatching a kiss away from my son w/ the foil still on trying to get the foil off... i took it away from her but i was still worried that she might have ate some of it and my vet told me what was mentioned above that they have to eat quite more then just a lil peice but after she had the kiss she had a very bad tummy ache and gas really bad but she only ate a small peice but she was prerefctly fine so i dont think u have anything to worry about....

IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Auspet.com


Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.45c
















1999-2017 AusPet.com