1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

The cat next door

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by wtpooh, Aug 29, 2004.

1. wtpooh

wtpooh New Member

I am mainly venting here but suggestions are welcome...

Our next door neighbor, Anne, was an elderly woman who lived with her son. Sadly she passed away at the beginning of the summer. Her cat, Lizzy, is a beautiful all white cat that was a rescue given to her from my neice about 7 years ago. She is an indoor cat.

**side note....Anne's daughter also lives on our road in another house but apparently doesn't get along with her brother...***

Lately we have noticed that Anne's son hasn't been home alot, maybe once or twice a week. My sister and I are getting concerned about Lizzy. Last week we even asked the son-in-law if we could go into the house to check on Lizzy. We found that she had food but her water dish was empty :-(

Here's the part that really upset us. We found out that the majority of the family wanted to cremate Lizzy and have her buried with Anne. Thankfully that didn't happen because the son said he wanted to keep her.
    BUT NOW....he's not caring for her!!

We mentioned to the son-in-law that we would have no problem checking in on Lizzy if they wanted to give us a key. (My sister has lived on this road for 19 years so trust isn't an issue). We don't want to press the issue but they haven't said anything to us about it since.

I feel so bad for Lizzy. She is all alone in this house all day. My sister and I thought about taking her in but we have 2 dogs and 4 cats. I think that would be too much for Lizzy and we pretty much have a full house as it is.

We will most likely approach them again and voice our concerns for Lizzy. Hopefully they will allow us to check in on her.

Thanks for listening.....

Here is a picture of Lizzy in her favorite window. She loves to watch all the animals that play in our backyard.
    [​IMG]

2. jennlo75

jennlo75 New Member

Aaawwww.....that picture almost made me cry :cry: . It's like Lizzy is saying "I wish I had someone to play with". Poor kitty. It's too bad that she has to spend so much time alone. I would keep asking Anne's son if you can help out!! Maybe he will eventually give in.....

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

he might think he's doing the cat a favor by providing it with a home but just doesn't understand the concept of pet responsibility. Maybe he'll accept your offer to check on the cat while he's not home. Hate to see the kitty end up in a shelter cause at that age it'll be hard for her to find a home. I'd offer to help out once in awhile...just be prepared to do it for a long time.

4. vene

vene New Member

Poor Lizzy. Are there any other family members or friends of yours who can take her in?
    This is pure abuse! :( :m36:

5. nern

nern New Member

That is so sad. I hope they will at least agree to let you check on her.

6. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

a warning should come with pictures like that

Warning: the following picture may tug on your heart strings and cause you to melt and say 'awwwww', possibly followed by other equally strong emotions.

poor little baby... keep us posted what happens... and no water? thats the most important thing! Unless lil Lizzy is part camel.

7. wtpooh

wtpooh New Member

I will ask around but I just finished placing a kitten (the one who was thrown from the car) with my sister. Before my sister decided to take her I was asking people if they wanted that kitten with no luck. Lizzy may be harder to place. Not to mention I haven't even gotten the chance to talk to the son...grrrr.....I keep looking for his car. You can bet that when I see him we are gonna have a talk.

Lizzy is literally next door. I have NO problem checking in on her and spending time with her. My sister feels the same way. We both love our furbabies so much like only people on this forum could understand.

I am hoping that by asking the son-in law to let us in the other day, and him seeing that Lizzy didn't have water, made him more aware of what going on. He has a dog and cat himself so I would hope that sparked something in him. I will ask him about whats going on again too.

8. wtpooh

wtpooh New Member

I just had an idea. I am going to write him a letter and place it in the mailbox. Why didn't I think of that before!?!

9. nern

nern New Member

Good idea. Let us know what happens.

10. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

That is just so sad. Even if she had pleanty of food and water, companionship is important too! Especially after losing her main human. That pic just made me soooo sad for her.

11. horse_child

horse_child New Member

WHAT!?!?! CREMATE HER!?!?! Ok these people need a seroius reality check. That all ended back with ancient Eygyptians!!! Is it at all possible to call the police. He obviously is neglecting her. That is terrible!