1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Scary incident during my walk today!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by nern, Aug 10, 2004.

1. nern

nern New Member

I really hate walking my dogs around here but have chosen a few streets that I considered pretty safe to walk my dogs down. A few hours ago I was walking down a quiet side street that I always walk down on my way home from the park and suddenly I see a large dobe x growling and pouncing on someones front storm door..I saw the door budge a little (as I tried to walk a little faster) but one more pounce and that dog came darting out towards us after Sebastian!! :shock: Of course this was the very first time I have ever attempted to walk both dogs at the same time. I tried so hard to quickly scoop up Sebastian but I could'nt because him and Natalie were pulling in opposite directions trying to get away from this crazy dog. I did'nt know what to do and thought for sure Sebastian would be dead if this went on for even a couple of seconds longer...this dog looked like he thought that Sebastian was a rabbit and he was really focused on catching him!! He lunged at Natalie too...right in her face. It was so scary. What did I do? I screamed "NOOOOOOO!!!! GET OUT OF HERE!!" (embarassingly loud) and the dog stopped dead in his tracks cowered down for a second and just looked at me then continued to proceed toward Sebastian but by this time a teen had come out of the house, grabbed the dog by his collar and dragged him back into the house....she did'nt even set down the phone (that she was yapping on while this was all going on) for a second to ask if my dogs were okay or even to appologize :? . A bunch of neighbors were outside by then looking at me as if I was nuts. I was shaking all the way home. I have never been so scared in my life.
    My neigbor was with me (she usually walks Sebastian and I walk Natalie) but today she was baby sitting her grandson so I had both dogs. She was scared too... she said that she just froze and did'nt know what to do.
    I'm just so glad that nobody got hurt.
    Just needed to vent. Thanks for listening. :|

2. someday

someday New Member

I'm so glad no one was hurt! I really wish people would be responsible enough to keep control of their dogs! Even when you do enverything right, there's always those people out there that make dangerous situations for you and your dogs.

3. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Nern: I've been there myself. I've been walking with my dogs and a dog would jump a fence and come charging in my direction. So far I've been really lucky and nothing has happened. Since I have two Pit Bulls, if a fight should happen, my dogs would definately be to blame regardless. I'm to the point where I'm too afraid to go for a walk with my dogs.

I posted a thread a while back asking advise on what we can do if a dog should confront our dogs when walking. The only thing we agreed on was carry some pepper spray or something.

There are so many irresponsible dog owners out there, it's just really hard for us that are responsible to enjoy something so simple as a walk with our dogs.

Sorry it has to be so crappy for you, too. Just be thankful that nothing happen.

If anyone has a solution on how to walk our dogs in peace, please let us know!

4. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

So glad everything turned out alright. a friend of mine was telling me about a handicap man walking his dog and a neighbors rotty got ahold of his poodle and killed it. Then had a girl call about a yorkie cause a big dog (cant remember kind) got a hold of their yorkie and killed it. It'
    s a shame.

5. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

OOOOOH Nern!! :cry:
    I would have been just as terrified as you! It's a good thing you screamed and even better thing that it stopped the dog (well, ALMOST stopped).

yipesssss........... bless your heart. I bet your babies' hearts were beating just as fast as yours!

6. nern

nern New Member

Thanks all.

lovedapits: I think I remember that thread. My neighbor told me to bring a squirt gun (or maybe even a super soaker) with me but I wonder if that would even make a really aggressive dog flinch.

I wish people would just be more careful and more considerate.

7. Jody

Jody New Member

Nern, I have had exactly the same happen to me to, sorry to say that the sqirt guns didn't work at all, so now whenever I go, I carry my baseball bat named Charlie..........He does a good job to...... :eek:

8. lil96

lil96 New Member

That is pretty crazy! I can'T believe that girl was so stupid and didn'T even say anything to you, no wonder the dog is such a nut job, the owner is too! This reminds me of the other day, I was riding my bike and I had Luther along too, he was tied to a string (it is easy to break in case he gets tangled or something) so anyway these 2 dogs come up growling at Luther (no leash) and then he string breaks so he wants to play with them (his tail was wagging and he was doing this thing he does) but the dogs are still growling, so I get off my bike as fast a s I can to take him away, and as I am approaching I am saying sorry for bothering your dogs (even though her dogs were growling and should have been on a leash) and all she could say was the equivilent of get your nasty dog away from my dogs, which I feel like my dog was just trying to play, he wasn't trying to be dominant or start a fight, he just does this thing where he sits a few feet back and wags his tail like crazy and tries not to get his butt of te ground (I guess he doesn't want it sniffed until he can sniff theirs)
    Anyway people really need to learn to be responsible for their pets!
    That girl needs to go to dog school tolearn to take care of her dog!
    I am sorry that happened to you, but I am glad you weren't hurt.

9. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Nern, I am sure the situation you faced would not warrant an experiment but here is something we could all try out in a non-threatenting situation. The trainer at Freckles obedience school was giving a lecture on the importance of administering discipline at the time the dog is actually involved in a bad behavior and not after the fact. She said "What is the first thing you say when you catch your dog doing something bad? "COME HERE!" She said anytime a strange dog approaches just yell "COME HERE" and watch it run the other way. That may actually work better than yelling Go Away.
    But then I would still carry that baseball bat, like Jody, as plan B.

10. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

I would bring a stick or something - not to hit the dog with - but it distracts the other dog. If they are coming for you, they will most likely go for the stick or be intimidated by it, if not you can try to put it in their mouth, and in worst case scenario, you could beat the crap out of them with it. I don't really think a squirt gun is the best thing to arm yourself with. Some dogs really could care less ( I have one of those ) and some it might just anger.

11. honeybears

honeybears New Member

glad to hear all of you are okay, that is frightening. I had that happen once.
    I had just stepped on the sidewalk in front of my house to walk Jake and Wylie when come running a neighbors 2 big dogs that had gotten out and I know one of them to be viscous, I lived on a hill so I tried running up the grass but fell down, and this viscous one was trying to attack me. luckily Jake and Wylie were cowering behind me, just snarling, I was kicking it like crazy and the other dog was trying to join in. And I was screaming bloody murder for help. I cant believe no-one heard me. ILuckily I got it good in the mouth and they went running away.

honeybear

12. GinaH

GinaH New Member

That is so scary! IM so glad everything turned out ok. Luckily I have a big enough yard that my dogs get all the exercise they need in our own yard. Also we live in the country so there's not really any place to take the dogs for a walk except for maybe to the mailbox which is about a mile from our house. And well here lately you guys know what a mess I have been going through with other people not being responsible for their own dogs. It's gotten to the point now that Im terrified to even take my dogs outside.
    I have had similar experiences before at state parks where I have had my dogs leashed and have been approached by unleased dogs. It makes me so mad it's just so scary.

13. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

my knees would have been knocking so hard I probably would have had to sit down.

I remember when years ago I was walking my mal/shepherd mix, Daisy and a Bernese Mountain dog came charging down its front lawn at us (Daisy was leashed) this dog was charging and snarling all the way surprising me cause I thought that breed was pretty laid back. The dog got about a yard from us - I could no longer walk cause my knees were jello at this point - and Daisy gave the dog a "look" and the dog stopped so fast grass flew up from its back legs, tucked its tail in and ran home.

Daisy was extremely alpha and she didn't even bark at that dog...the dog heard the language rather well and figured home was probably wise.

14. Trixiepoo

Trixiepoo New Member

that sounds horrible I dont kno what i would do if that happened to me. Fortunately I live in a small town and most of the dogs r friendly so it is safe to walk here

15. nern

nern New Member

Wow, sounds like most of you have had run-ins with unfriendly, unleashed dogs. I guess we all have a few idiots in the neighborhood unfortunately. :x

One other time when I was at the park with Natalie (leashed) I saw a yellow lab (unleashed) from a distance heading towards us... as he got closer his idiot owner began yelling to me "Run! Run! He is'nt friendly!". Now maybe this is a dumb question :? but.... what the heck are you doing at a public park with an unfriendly, unleashed dog?!?!?!?!?!? I just could not beleive what this woman was saying to me. :shock:

Maybe I will just bring a pot and pan with me from now on....this way (if this ever happens again) I can bang the pot and pan together in an attempt to scare the dog away. If it works, I can then use them to hit the owner over the head. :wink:

I decided to skip my walk for today :| but I will definately be more prepared on our next one. One thing that I'm glad I did'nt do is run. I think that would have wired the dog up even more.

16. Mackie8494

Mackie8494 New Member

i would be scared too! i am so glad your dogs didn't get hurt.i would be scared to death just like you. :)

17. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

How horrible! The last time I walked Jasmine (husky) a huge black dog came running towards us well I was freaking out his owner came out and yelled hes friendly dont worry. And the dog ended up walking with us but boy I was scared.

Oh and then yesterday I took Jasmine to the vet and the dog walker was there and said they had another husky they were trying to adopt out, so we went over to see him and as we were walking he said he is slightly dog aggresive so I got a good hold of Jasmine and told him not to bring him close. Well as soon as he got him out of the pen he lunged at Jas, well she was prepared to take his head off. I had never seen this side of her. At first I was shocked but to tell you the truth I am glad to see she has it in her and if need be she could defend herself. I have always wondered since she is so laid back. I guess she senced his dominance and when he started walking towards me she didnt like that one bit. Needless to say we will not be adopting that dog!

P.S. this is 3Dogsihave but auspet changed it for me since my recent addition!

Jill

18. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

OMG! I would have lost it if that were me! :shock: It's amazing how some people just don't care what their dogs do! And, I can't believe that the teen didn't even ask if things were okay...

I have thought about what it would be like to walk my girls alone.. I know that the majority of the time when we do start walking them my husband will be with me.. but, in the event that I'm alone I often wonder how I'll scoop them BOTH up if anything like this were to happen :?

I am very glad that yourself, Natalie & Sebastian are all okay :D

19. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I'm not surprise the teen didn't ask if you were okay. Most teens are notoriously self-centered - no offense to the teens that come here, who are not!!

I love the idiot yelling "Run! Run! He's not friendly!" :shock: What the heck?!

In the training for the pet safety class I will be teaching, they teach that if a dog approaches you off-leash, you are to stand completely still. They have you fold your hands together (with your fingers laced together) and hold them under your chin, and then you "become a tree."

If the dog is attacking you or is going to attack, you are supposed to "become a rock" - get down on the ground, curl up in a ball, tuck your head down and protect the back of your neck and ears with your arms (hands laced together behind your neck).

I'm not sure if I would be brave enough to do either of these things, but that's what you are supposed to do! Of course, if you have a dog with you, you're just out of luck...

Apparently, they do this exercise when they teach the kids where they have the kids be rocks or trees and then let the companion dog off leash. The dog just sniffs around and doesn't bother anyone, because no one is moving. I told them Nala would take one look at children lying on the floor and dance on their heads. They assured me she would not. Ummm. I think I will try it out with my kids' friends before I subject a classroom full of young children to her. Although, most likely I will only be taking Bonnie with me. They told me I could take both, but I'm not sure I could handle them both and teach all at the same time.

20. lil96

lil96 New Member

All I want to say is I noticed that 3gogsihave is now 4dogsIhave and I think that is too funny!