1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

ringworm in a cat

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by carolclarkhill, Nov 16, 2012.

1. carolclarkhill

carolclarkhill New Member

Has anyone had experience with ringworm? :(

2. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

Just recently actually, lol. It's a really itchy, annoying pain. For the cat, you can get a lyme dip from your vet which is very effective, but you will need to use it several times and it reeks of a sulfur like smell. Keep the cat confined to a tiled laundry room or bathroom for at LEAST a week or 2 during treatment with easily washable bedding. Awful, i know, but the other option is to board them at your vet and have them do the lyme dips for you, which can get expensive. Otherwise they can spread it about the house.

For yourself, WEAR GLOVES if you need to do any extensive handling of the cat or it's bedding. Then WASH your hands! Wash all of your own bedding every 5-7 days. If you notice any itchy, red, dry circular lesions on yourself you will need to be treated as well with a topical cream such as ketaconizole 2% which is by prescription only and treats many types of skin fungus. There is also prescription strength Nizoral 2% shampoo for you to use on your hair and as a body wash a couple times a week when you shower. You will need to get these from your own doctor, but fortunately they are not too expensive. Change your bath towels frequently. Your vet can do a culture from the affected cat to see exactly what type of ringworm it has, as there are many kinds which may respond better to different treatments. At night, it is best to apply the cream to your lesions and them cover with a gauze pad or band-aid to avoid the cream rubbing off while you sleep and spreading the fungus on your sheets. Treatment time is a minimum of 2 weeks. Don't scratch!!

Good luck! It is very annoying, but treatable.

3. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

I had a cat have a very bad case of ringworm and it took about 4 months to get it under control... the vet gave us cream that went on it, he had special shampoo we had to bathe him every day and he also had oral meds... like I said it was the worse case she ever saw... thankfully my other 2 cats did not get it and neither of us humans got it.. we covered everything with towels and sheets and washed them often and vacuumed every day...
    I hope all is well...