1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

new kitten..need help!!!

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by kris28, Jun 20, 2004.

1. kris28

kris28 New Member

I have a new 9 wk old kitten I got at a shelter..The mother cat had the kittens in the shelter and they were started on litter right away... I have 2 problems...the kitten (Jerry) cried constantly..over & over. He gets lots of attention, food water, clean leitterbox..my toy poodle loves him to death and is always trying to play or cuddle with him. My older cat grooms him. But still cries constantly. Ony stops if you play with him. The other problem we have is that he went into the cat carrier, Which is enclosed like the litter box actually) and peed on the towel, then tried to cover it up!! I took him to his litter box and he then pooped. We have had Jerry for a week and he has always used his box,,,is this just behavior cause he is a kitten? I dont know if he will outgrow this, orif he got confused over the litterbox?? please help....i really want him to be litter trained but I never owned a kitten this young before...thanks!

2. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Try to keep your carrier out of reach when its not beaing used. They sell theese great things at most walmarts and pet stores that look like a band shell were it has a flat bottom and then the back curves up like a shell that way she'd still be able to sleep and rest in that rather then her crate. Good Luck!

3. nern

nern New Member

Congrats on your new kitty!
    Has he been checked by a vet yet? With all the excessive crying I would probably have him checked if you have not done so already. Then again, some cats are just very vocal. Chieve is constantly howling or whining at me especially when I leave the room.

I think with him urinating in the carrier, a check by the vet would be a good idea just to rule out any health problems associated with this. I also think he could have just gotten confused since the carrier is enclosed just like the litter box. When Rhiannon was younger there were a few ocassions where she urinated in the cardboard boxes I had around for the cats to lay in. I saw her do it once and she looked really confused when she could'nt cover it up. She's an adult now and has'nt done it sense she was little.

4. kris28

kris28 New Member

I removed the carrier all together. I think he was just confused. He peed in the litter box after that. Before he was adopted out he was checked by the vet and had his shots. I will just have to keep an eye on him. He doesnt have full access to all the rooms in the house at this point. We will see how it goes. I personally think 8 weeks is too young to be adopted from their mother, I think 12 weeks is the reasonable time. I dont know if I mentioned this already, but I have a male toy poodle who adores him. Last night I walked into the bedroom and my dog was on his back licking the kitten while the kitten tried to nurse!! I was very surprised considering my dog is a neutered male!!! But the two of them are glued to the hip!! I almost feel left out! ha ha

5. nern

nern New Member

LOL. Thats so funny. Its nice that they get along so well.

6. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

I'm glad you got the litter problem solved kris. But I did feel compelled to mention that 8-9 weeks is a bit young to be taken from momma. Even though weened and litter trained, momma also is important to teach social skills but it sounds like she is accepting her fellow fur buddies (a very good sign). Is she still crying? Is she eating well and attempting to groom herself?

I understand that shelters are cramped and they sometimes will adopt out pets that are a little to young to be released but such is life. My baby was 10 weeks when I adopted her and luckily all is fine. I personally go by the 12 week theory but my baby was so friendly and out going and I could tell by her cage that she was doing well (except for a cold) that I thought I'd give it a try and she's fine and eats like a freaking horse! :D

7. kris28

kris28 New Member

Jerry (my knew kitty) is doing better today.. He does walk around crying but I have found that when I bring him to his bowl he starts earting and the crying stops. He is constantly trying to nurse off the dog. But he is grooming himself and eats/drinks, and loves to play.

8. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

He sounds like a sweety, I think he'll be fine. Please post a pic if/when you take any :D

9. Kou

Kou New Member

One of my older cats, Swiss, he just jabbers up a storm.. he goes to the wall and sits.. and all you'll here is this deep, longing, mourning "meow... mrowow... mowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww". He LOVES going into the bathroom and doing it because it echoes.. I guess he likes to hear himself sing? LOL.. and don't underestimate cats. My two oldest know english.. especially their names and "I know you just didn't!"... LOL