1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My kitten has the runs!

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Caroline, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Caroline

Caroline New Member

Hi. I've just got a little ginger tom kitten, called Oscar. He is now 8 weeks old. Ever since I brought him from his Mum's home he has had the runs. does any one know what this could be? Is it due to him new home & being away fom his mum and other brothers? What can I do to help him? The other worry that I have is that ther were drops of blood in his poos for a few times yesterday but none today. Is this something I should be worried about?
    Thanks for any replies & help. :(

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

you should start with a vet check and have a fecal exam done. Could be a parasite and some of them can quickly suck the life out of such a young kitten (who BTW should have stayed with mom until at least 8 weeks old).
    Do not use over the counter medications!!!! You should only use vet prescribed meds.
    If he doesn't have any parasites it could be food allergies and that can be a trial by error thing.
    I'd start with a thorough vet exam and fecal. It's probably coccadia which kittens get from their moms.

3. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

I agree, a Vet check would be the best thing. You want your new kitten to have a healthy start in life.

Sometimes a change in food and cause diarrhea. Also, a lot of kitties cannot tolerate milk. I know my kitties can get the runs from drinking milk.

A Vet can narrow in on the problem. Best of luck with your new kitty.

4. vene

vene New Member

:m23: and welcome. A vet visit would be in the best interest of the kitten. It can be fatal if the kitten gets dehydrated and loss of nutrients or is diseased. Please keep us posted.

5. Caroline

Caroline New Member

Thanks Guys, Re My kitten has the runs!!

:lol: Just like to say many thanks for the replies. I took little Oscar to the Vet just to check out what was going on. He couldn;t find anything but did say I need to start feeding him what he was having before he came to me & then slowly introduce the new food I brought. So that's what I've been doing & he's been great, runs stopped within a day or so & he is skilfully picking out of his dish the new food I put in!! He's growing by the day & it's great to hear him purring. Thanks once again, when I can get round to it I'll see if I can get a pic put on. :y_the_best:

6. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

glad he is doing well. My Zeus had horrible "dire-rear" when I first got him and it ended up being diet related. The only thing he could eat was Friskies canned kitten food!! We tried the high-end ones and they went through him nearly as fast as it went in.
    Now at 4 years old the Little Fella can eat anything - and does.
    Can't wait to see pictures of your new baby

7. vene

vene New Member

Great news! :eek: