1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Molly has stopped using the litter box?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by GinaH, Jan 19, 2005.

1. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Sorry I haven't been on much I have been so busy lately. I hope everyone is doing well.

Here's my question/problem Molly my 11 year old cat has over the past few weeks stopped using her litter box and forgotten where her food dish is. She has also lost all her hair on her back legs stomach and her tail. The hair loss I just put off to old age and the fact that she has always had very bad allergies. I love her and can't imagine having her put to sleep but her not using the litter box is a huge problem. My husband has had enough and frankly I can't take it either. As we all know cat urine is a horrible smell that is nearly impossible to get rid of. Molly has now been confined to the second bathroom but she cries all night and most of the day and it just breaks my heart. :cry:
    Has anyone ever experienced anything similar with their senior pets?

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

oh Gina poor molly, my old cat did the same thing, we did put her to sleep , also because he was suffering because he was a diabetic and had deteriated.

you have to think about her quality of life she is leading now, it sounds like she has taken a turn for the worse being disoriented, not knowing where her food is and box, and her body. its so hard when we have to make that decision. you also mentioned her throwing up awhile bsck which I thought was a sign ofkidney failure which my cat is suffering from now. I think her kidneys are shutting down and she just cant cope anymore

I was just going to post a queastion can cats and dogs go senile because since my cat has had his kideny problems he has been acting real weirds. its like he doesnt know where he is sometimes and just howls, when we go to him, he is like okay they are here and is comforted, and its like he just ate and it I think he fogot he did the way he acts.

prayers to Molly

honeybear

3. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

GinaH. Hi there! It's been quite awhile since either of us has been on. Sorry to hear that Molly is having a bad time.

A cat that is 11 yrs. and as cared for as Molly is, is not that old. The hair loss might be because of a thyroid problem which comes with age. The thing with Molly going outside the litterbox might be from a U.T.I. People think this is only a male cat thing, but females can have a U.T.I. also. I had a female with urinary infection, and she would go a little bit everywhere until she was treated. Then she went back in her box.

Take Molly into the Vet and see what he says.

Good luck to you and Molly!

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Sharon, good idea, thought she had already been to the vet, gald to see you are back too

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Poor Molly! Yes, bring her to the vet and see if something can be done, and of course let us know what you find out!

Honeybear, yes cats and dogs can become senile, or something like it.

6. MollysMom

MollysMom New Member

I had a 12 year old female cat that did the same thing....but not just with urine...she would poo too. And sometimes she would poo just outside her box...and caught her urinating in odd places, like the rug by the front door, and once in a plastic grocery bag lying on the floor.
    She would vomit on occasion also.
    Our vet ruled out UTI....most of the problems were attributed to age related issues. We dealt with it for along time....but eventually we did have to put her to sleep...it was awful.
    Hopefully your Molly has something that can be treated.

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Do you have an update on Molly yet, Gina?