1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Kyrre is going bald...

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Bente, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Bente

Bente New Member

Kyrre has lost a patch of fur on his left shoulder, and I have no idea why... It's not completely bald though: it looks like it has been shaved, and then grown out a couple of millimeters. I first noticed this a while after he came home from his run-away earlier this year, only then the hair wasn't so short. It looked almost like someone had cut of a pinch of his fur. I couldn't figure out what had happened, but he didn't seem sick or bothered in any way, so I just kept an eye on it the following weeks. I had almost forgot about it, but during brushing and combing today I noticed that even more of the fur on a bit of the same patch was gone, and now it's really short: I can see the skin underneath.

The weird thing is that it's a big circle shaped patch (ca. 7x5cm) with fur that is shorter than normal, like it was right after he came home, which is barely visible. And inside there is a new, smaller patch (ca. 2x2cm) with almost no fur at all.

My first thought was... I have no idea what it is called in English, but translated from Norwegian its ringworm, because of the circle shaped patches (I don't even know if patch is the correct word to use :wink: ) Ringworm isn't really a worm, but a fungus that affects the skin. But on Kyrre I can't see any rash or wounds, his skin looks perfectly healthy!

It's too late to call the vet today, so I thought I'd see if any of you guys has had any experience with this :)

2. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

I hope it's ok. I'm thinking that maybe he got injured while out and about and the patch is healing now. I hope that's all it is.

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I'd have him checked for ringworm. It's contagious to people too.
    Usually patches on the torso or face

4. Bente

Bente New Member

Nope, no injuries at all. I checked him for cuts etc. when he got back. that's when I noticed the area with short(er) fur. I also checked the skin underneath the pach and it seemed perfectly normal, and it still does. Offcourse, it might be something so small it's not visible to me. Or maybe it's from me grooming him, I always end up with a handful of fur when grooming, but never more than normal shedding. And I'd never expect the zoomgroom to be that "hard"...

I'll call the vet tomorrow anyway, and ask if they would recomend a check. I did bring him to the vet for a chek-up and shots not long after his little trip away from home, and I remember the vet commented on his healthy fur and skin. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

5. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

Please let us know how he is doing. Kyrre is like a brother to Booger.

6. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Bente it really sounds like ringworm and yes it is contagious..... I'd have him checked asap and get on top of it....
    Good luck and keep us informed...
    Poor Kyrre :cry: and poor you....

7. vene

vene New Member

I hope it's not ringworm. He might have gotten into a scuffle and had his fur grown back.

8. Bente

Bente New Member

I hope it's not ringworm either, but I don't think it is from a scuffle since it's less hair now then when he came home... I called the vet today (new vet since we moved) and she is going to call me back later, bc she was a little busy.

Thanks Cassie :D I'll be sure to keep you updated.

9. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

I hope Kyrre will be okay. My daughter's puppy is getting a bald spot on her shoulder, too. She'll probably take her to the Vet.

10. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Does sound like Ringworm then. Since they both have the same signs it is very contagious to humans too...

sorry to hear that :cry:

11. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Kitty dramas all round..
    :(

Hope Kyrre hasn't got it too..

12. Bente

Bente New Member

We just came back from the vet, and he was fairly certain the spot is caused by excessive licking, which is a result of stress. Poor Kyrre... We figured out it started with his run-away, and moving to a new house has probably contributed to it as well. The vet said it was important to stop the behaviour before it turns in to a bad habit, so I bought a Feliway diffuser. Hopefully it will do the trick :)

13. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

if the Feliway doesn't help check out either Bach's Rescue Remedy or Composure Liquid. Either can be ordered online. The composure Liquid, at least in my house, worked better than Bach's.
    It's also all natural ingredients, is sweet tasting (don't ask how I know that) and with Dixie I found she was actually looking for her dosage every day!!
    I was giving it to Dixie for beating the snot out of Zeus and for spraying my stove when I had new fosters come in. Bachs didn't help her

14. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

My vet put Harley on the Feliway because of his not sleeping..... I found that it really didn't work for him.... But every cat is different. That's why Harley is on sleep meds.
    Good luck at least it was not ringworm.

15. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

I hope that helps, Bente. I was at the Vet's with my daughter yesterday about a problem her kitty is having and she asked him Feliway and he did say it can help with stress.

16. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Bente. Poor Kyrre. He's been though a lot. Hopefully that will help. He may also just settle down in his new home and not be so stressed out as time goes by.

17. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Bente, I hope that the feliway works for you and I hope that it is cheaper than it is here in Colorado...... :eek:

18. vene

vene New Member

Good luck with the Feliway!

19. Bente

Bente New Member

I wouldn't exactly say it's cheap... At the vet it cost 500 Norwegian Kroner, that's approx. 100 USD.

BUT the good news is I think it's working :D the vet said it would go two weeks before I could see an effect from the Feliway, but ever since I plugged it in by the couch, Kyrre has been living in it! Kinda sad, because he used to sleep in our bed at night, and in his own bed during the day, but now he only sleeps in the couch. Maybe I should move the Feliway to the bedroom :mrgreen: He also seems alot calmer :)

20. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

OMG Bente...... I bought it in a pet store... It was about $55 and $40 something for the refills. I would see about finding it on the internet.... might be cheaper for you!! I bought 2 one for the living room area and one for the bedroom.... I only plugged them in during the night because I was hoping that it would ease him so that he would sleep. But your situation is a bit different. I noticed a difference within just a few days it is in the air soooo.... vet said a few weeks???? hum
    Well good luck!!