1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How much to feed my active dog??

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by winnie, Nov 28, 2010.

1. winnie

winnie New Member

Hi everyone! I havnt been here in FOREVER! Hope everyone is good!

I have a 5 year old Golden/Lab mix named Bear....I take him running with me all the time, about 5 days a week, we usually go for an hour (6miles) sometimes even longer....usually later in the day after our run I'll take him on a walk with my other two dogs, for an hour. So needless to say he is very active. I have always fed all my dogs once a day in the morning, Bear always gets 2 full cups (they all get Innova Senior Adult Food). Lately I have been feeling like he should get more food, considering how much running he does with me and other activities, like the walks, and the hiking too. (my other dogs are older and can only go on walks)

Any idea on how much food he should be getting? Should I give him more???
    He had been maintaing a weight of about 68-70lbs, lately when we go out I feel like he looks a little thinner, but when I feel his body, he does not seem thin....he has long black fur so its hard to tell by judging from the look of him.

I have friends who have similar sized dogs who get a lot less exercise who feed their dogs more then him.....I guess I feel bad that I might be not giving him enough food....any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

I feed my boxer/lab 2 times a day he gets 1 1/2 cups each time, he goes for fast walks everyday with the boyfriend.. He would eat more but I think 3 cups a day is plenty for him...
    I guess you could increase it a cup but wouldn't go more than that... As long as he doesn't feel like skin and bones :) I think he's fine.. But that's my opinion.

3. winnie

winnie New Member

Thank you!

4. winnie

winnie New Member

Thank you!

5. winnie

winnie New Member

Thank you!

6. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

I hope that helped, I think it just depends on how your dog does.. If you think he's losing weight add a bit more food and see if he plumps back up.... You will know your dog best.....

:mrgreen:

7. An active dog does not need a lot of food but needs a food that contains the energy needed for the active lifestyle that the dog have. Exercise your dog on the morning to decrease the hyperactivity of the dog.

8. milos87popovic

milos87popovic New Member

Active dog need a quality and high energy food. On food you have daily amount by weight and dog years. I have Alaskan Malamutes and I feed him only one time - in the morning.