1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

horse throws head under tack only

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by tocwolf, Dec 13, 2006.

1. tocwolf

tocwolf New Member

i have a question i am looking at a horse who has a problem of throwing or should i say nodding its head while tacked up only. She does not do it in the stall or outside and she is fine in the showmanship classes. she also does not nod her head when you put a piece of nylon knee high around the top of her snout not over her nostrils. she does not seem to nod her head in the cold weather either. does anyone have an idea?

2. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

What breed is she? If she's a Tennessee Walker, she's supposed to nod her head. I don't know for sure about other gaited breeds, but I know for sure that Walkers not only nod their heads, but flip their ears and swish their tails, especially when they're doing a running walk.

You should also check to be sure the bit is properly placed in her mouth. If it's hanging too low or pulled too high it'll bang on her teeth. That hurts, and she'll flip her nose trying to relieve the pain.

Other than that, she might need to have her teeth worked on.

3. tocwolf

tocwolf New Member

she is a quarter horse the vet looked over her and he thinks it might be mental but our trainer thinks different

4. Sara

Sara New Member

How many bridles have you tried on her? How many different bits have you tried with her, it sounds to me like an issue with a peice of tack she does not like bridle or bit or both. Have you tried her in A hackamore... What bit is she currently in that she nods with?

If you'd like I can point you to another message board where there are QUITE a few experts, trainers and breeders...who will be happy to have a question like this to ponder on. Here's the link:

http://p203.ezboard.com/bequestrianalley

5. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Thats very good advice, does it seem like shes head shy??? Maybe there is some teeth troubling her, because if the bit does bang on her teeth it will cause alot of discomfort for her, its important to get the right tackle for your horse exactly suited to there need..

6. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Quarter horses are normally very placid too..When I had my Appy quarter horse before I got him the previous owners used to hit him around the head :x :x While tacking him up, especially the kids, he was a big boy too, so the more he lifted his head the more they would belt him..

I actually reported them, and they got done because he was abused, and I actually got forst preference in having him..
    I was stoked...

I worked with him and on his shyness and in the end with much love and care,and time, when I approached him he actually lowered his head for me to put his bridal on, its was such a fantastic acheviement of his trust of me.. I had him many many years until retiring him out to pasture..
    He is gone know of old age..But he spent many years with a great life with me..

7. luv2show

luv2show New Member

When the horse is throwing her head only with a bit in his mouth, her teeth need to be done.

Goodluck .

8. Sara

Sara New Member

Might see if she needs a chiropractic adjustment if her teeth are fine.

9. Morrison

Morrison New Member

First thing i would check would be if she still had her wolf teeth , If it's nothing to do with the teeth then it's a training issue