1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help on Training

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by mknuth, Jun 20, 2004.

1. mknuth

mknuth New Member

My Papillion, CoCo who is 5 months old and very intelligent. I also have a 3 year old Cocker, Butter, who is an amazing pet.

The problem is that even though CoCo will go outside and do what she is supposed to, this isn't stopping her from also going in the house when she wants.

She knows it's wrong because as soon as she has an "accident" she runs into her crate and won't come out, so I know the brain power is there.

How do I get her to tell or show me she needs to go out? I put her out almost every 1 1/2 -2 hours to avoid accidents and she goes almost every time!

2. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

:eek: Hi, and WELCOME mknuth!!! :eek:

To me, it sounds like CoCo is either testing you, and/or is not FULLY housebroken just yet (obviously she has made great progress, but she is still pretty young, so don't be too disappointed in her not being completely housebroken)!

Several ideas to rid her of the habit:

~Continue to take her out on a consistent basis as you are, and when she does eliminate outdoors, praise her like crazy and give her one small treat.

~Limit her access to the house! Only let her be in the room you are in so you can keep a close eye on her. If it is difficult to confine her to one room with gates and the like, leash her to you, or even something in the room (i.e. leg of a couch or chair). The whole idea here is to make her earn your trust! She obviously knows what she does is wrong when eliminating indoors, so you have to show her that you are the boss and won't tolerate that behavior. This is done by LIMITING HER ACCESS to your home...simple, she is only allowed to be where you are so you can closely supervise her, and catch her "in the act" if she decides to eliminate indoors. (The more times you catch her in the act, and correct the behavior, the quicker she will learn and likely cease the behavior.)

~Are you using a high quality deodorizer to clean up her accidents? When a dog eliminates indoors on your carpet, the smell of the previous elimination will remain if a quality deodorizer was not used the time(s) before. That smell will entice CoCo to eliminate in the same spot again, or somewhere else in your home...it's just their natural instinct.

A high quality deodorizer that I like is Nature's Miracle, which can be found in just about every pet store.

~When you can't keep an eye on her, it is vitally important that you confine her. I always used our kitchen for this. I would close the door that led to our dining room, and gate off the doorway that led to our family room, so there was no possible way they could escape to the rest of the house and have accidents while I was unable to supervise them, or when I was gone. Confining your pup to a room with tiled floor is ideal because if your pup does happen to have an accident while in there, the clean-up is easy.

~I am going to quote a response I wrote before regarding signs that a puppy may need to eliminate:

~Also, when you come upon an accident that you did not witness happen with your very own eyes, DO NOT scold her in anyway. Correction is only needed when you catch her in the act!

~Sometimes accidents in the home are due to an internal medical problem, often times bladder infections, among other things. So, just to be on the safe side, you may want to bring her in to your vet and have him/her run a few tests to eliminate any possible medical problems that may be causing the unwanted behavior. (However, it is more than likely that she is either testing you, or just isn't fully housebroken yet...she is still young, keep working at it.)

~CoCo is also getting very close the appropriate age to be spayed, DEFINITELY something to consider doing!!!

~Be very consistent, and start NOW in getting rid of the problem at hand...the longer you wait, and the more times she eliminates indoors without being caught in the act, the harder it will be to break her of the habit.

Those are the only pointers that I can think of at this moment to help you out! Maybe someone else here may have more helpful ideas!!!

I wish you the best of luck in ridding her of this problem...let us know how she progresses!!! :D

3. mknuth

mknuth New Member

Thank you!! I will start implementing all of your suggestions immediately. I love her dearly, but don't want to get frustrated... I will keep you posted!

4. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

You're very welcome...glad I could help!!! I'm sure with lots of patience, persistence and a positive attitude, CoCo will learn quickly - she is obviously one smart little pup!

I look forward to hearing how she does! :D

5. mknuth

mknuth New Member

:eek: 2 days later, and progress already. Less accidents and a much happier household. I told my husband about your message and he has also been working with CoCo per your suggestions. His frustration level has gone down tremendously :D

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.

6. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

:eek: FANTASTIC, that's GREAT news mknuth...I am thrilled she is making progress so quickly!!! :eek:

A giant round of applause to you and your husband for putting forth the effort! :-k

Keep up the great work and positive attitude...she's bound to fully grasp the idea in no time!!! :y_the_best:

Please do keep me updated, I would love to hear more news of CoCo's success! :D