1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help! I got a puppy...but I'm a nervous wreck!

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by karyash, Oct 28, 2004.

1. karyash

karyash New Member

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post a few days ago about which breed of dog would be best for my family. We got a puppy yesterday. I wasn't planning on getting one so soon, but a breeder that came recommended to me had some that I liked. She is Bichon/Shih Tzu and she is 12 weeks old. She is beautiful. The only problem is, I'm a wreck. This is our first puppy and the kids are fighting over it, it cried all night (only slept 4 hours), and I feel like maybe I made a mistake in getting it. I want to know if it gets better or did I do the wrong thing? How long will the crying go on? I need some advice. Thank you!
    Kristi

2. MyDixie

MyDixie New Member

I know exactly how you feel. First congrats on the new puppy. :mrgreen: That mix sounds beautiful. I have a six and a half month old pekeapoo and I felt like a made a huge mistake and first month that I had her. I picked her up and for the next month she cried all night and pottied everywhere and anywhere. But I promise that it will get better very soon. She is now the perfect dog. She sleeps in my bed with me at night and even sleeps in on the weekends. She loves to cuddle during the day and even though we still have the occassional accidents... it is the peke in her... she is learning to be a wonderful dog.

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

My friend Kelly has A Bichon/ Shih Tzu mix too!

When I got Rocky he would cry all night too. For the first night I only got 2 hours of sleep. I found it easier if I moved hime into my room. That way he knew someone was around. He would still wake up and cry but not as much.

4. Rene

Rene New Member

Congrats on your new puppy i'm thinking that she is crying because she is a little confused and stressed in her new home she left everything she knew but she will be fine it just takes time. as for the kids fighthing over her that might make her nervious also maybe put a time where one can hold her for 5 min then the next or something like that.

good luck and we love to see pictures

5. papillon/mom

papillon/mom New Member

Maybe you could move her bed in your room :roll: Both of my dogs sleep with me, but Rosco will wine if I put him in a secluded area he makes this screaming noise, it is sooooo ear piercing. I found that if I ignore him, he will stop. My hubby likes to be stern and tell him "no," that always works for him. :wink:

I can remember those puppy days, they do get a lot better. Just hang tight, one thing that my breeder gave me for both my dogs was a toy that was from their mother, it had the scent on it, they say that helps. :wink:

6. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Congrats on the puppy!

Here comes my advice:

I think it's a good idea to talk to your kids about what it means to be a dog owner. This is a BIG deal, a major change in yours (and your childrens lives) and they need to really understand this. Puppies are stressed anyway when they are taken from their mother & littermates and it takes time to adjust to their new environment. This is all new to them and it can be very scary. Puppies crying the first night (or several nights.. all depends on the individual puppy) is very normal and I'm sure your kids fighting over the puppy may have just made things a bit worse.

I'm a first time puppy owner myself. Did A LOT of research beforehand and felt extremely prepared.. BUT, it still can be a nervewracking situation because this is all new to you! In my case, I was a first time mommy period (no kids yet), so it was a little overwhelming at first. You'll make it through & your puppy will settle in just fine, I'm sure.

Good luck & I'd love to see pictures!

7. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I will be going thru the same thing soon. It defeinatley is like having a baby. I do remember times having to let my son cry to let him get the clue that nothing bad was going to happen. Very nerve wracking. Things will get better. You are molding your pup to be what you want it to be.

8. MollysMom

MollysMom New Member

Congrats on your new baby!
    My pup Molly is a Shih tzu Bichon mix also.
    I was pretty freaked out about it all the first few weeks, wondered if I made a mistake, even tho she was really good...I just don't do well with lifestyle changes sometimes!
    The first month and a half were really hard, the constant work with house training......but once we settled into a routine, and Molly got older, calmer, and smarter, things improved greatly!
    Things will get better, just be consistant, and hang in there!

9. karyash

karyash New Member

Thanks everyone!

Thank you for your advice. I agree that it is like having a new baby. I get a sick feeling everytime I hear the puppy cry and whine. I am going to stick it out because now I know that this will pass and she will be a wonderful companion. She loves to cuddle! I am going to set down some strict rules for the kids as far as handling the puppy. I don't want to overwhelm her now. Anyways, thanks again!

Kristi

10. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

WONDERFUL advice, everyone!!!!!! :y_the_best:

Set some ground rules for the kids, do research on raising a puppy (books, search threads here on Auspet, internet sites, etc.), be patient, persistent, consistent, and positive, and lastly, take one day at a time!

Just hang in there Karyash...best wishes!!! :D

(I think this goes without saying, but we're here for ya'! :wink: )

11. Prncess

Prncess New Member

well...

I really don't know what to say, but i know how you feel. But don't worry you are in safe hands here at auspet. Everyone here is the greatest at helping new doggy moms!! =) They puppy crying should suffice soon, don't worry. I think what i heard was if you put a clock near them or under their sheets they will think it's their mom's heartbeat and will sleep better....well take care and best wishes!

12. Trixiepoo

Trixiepoo New Member

Ok i guess everything has been said already so I just second all that!! :eek: :eek:

13. doggielover

doggielover New Member

COngrats on your new little bundle of joy! The bichon shih tzu mix is beautiful. As far as the crying goes, hang in there. Few helpful hints try placing a ticking clock wrapped in one your shirts (has your scent) in bed with her, the shirt is remind her you are there and the clock is suppose to sound like a mother's heartbeat. I say one week tops until the crying stops. And if it really bothers you bring her in your bed and she definately won't cry!