1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Does your dog have a preference: bones, toys, balls, rawhide

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by lil96, May 3, 2004.

1. lil96

lil96 New Member

I ask this because my old dog loved to get bones, rawhides, little doggy biscuits and balls. But my dog I have now, he has no interest in those things. He only likes the "indestructable"(he certainly can destroy them in a matter of minutes) soft toys with squeakys inside. When I first started to train him or now when someone tries to give him a dog biscuit he looks at it like, 'ok what am I supposed to do with that' and won't take it from anyone. But if there is human food being giving out you better watch your fingers! The other day I found a pet store near my house and they only had the rubber toys, which he doesn'T like, but thats ok bc they creap me out . So i got one of those things that look like pig skin and I brought it home for him and he ran from it and got very jealous bc the cat got cat nip! My bf suggested it was too big then I remembered he just doesn'T like these things. So is anyone elses dog like this or is my dog just weird?

2. Zekesmom

Zekesmom New Member

As a puppy Zeke was very difficult to train. We failed dog school in fact. He would lay down and not budge when we would be heeling. He did everything else beautifully. I was so frustrated. At one point, all the trainers were using baby talk to get him to move. He wouldn't budge. I think because he loved the dog park and being off leash in the woods he thought everyone was nuts walking in a circle on a leash. Anyway, months later I found the magic motivator, latex toys that squeak. He loves them!! The vinyl ones he destroyed and it wasn't until he stole a neighbor's toy that I discovered the magic. Zeke is a Rottweiler and he has everything, bones, rawhides, pigs ears, nylabones, etc. But the only toy he takes from his basket is a yellow hedgehog, wearing red sneakers, and listening to a walkman and wearing a sweatband. It is the ugliest thing ever!! He adores it. After a walk he goes and gets it. Then he gets the puppy crazies and runs back and forth throwing this thing all around. The bad part about it is that he will not let another dog near it. He is not possessive about anything else but this toy. So, can we join the strange toy dog club?

3. moose

moose New Member

alright, this one's not about my own dog -- she is my parents' dog, though we did live together for 6 years before i moved away. anyway, her obsession with a certain type of toy began when she was just a puppy and we bought her this yellow rubber ring that had a ball with a bell in the middle of it (does that make sense to anyone?). this toy became known as the "power ring" because whenever she was trying to act "tough" -- barking at a neighbor's dog or helping the smoke detector sound the alarm that my mom had burned the bisquits -- she would grab the power ring and fend off evil with her super powers that the power ring gave her!

she now also has a steady flow of "power bones" -- hard nylabones she chews down to a nub -- as well as a bright red NEW power ring! the yellow one had to be replaced after she had destroyed it.

4. Nik

Nik New Member

Floob's is a ball, any ball, just a ball. He'll galdly do anything playful rather than eat though, so if you go toward any toy when you've put his dinner down he won't eat it.

Saying that, when he's out on walks up the feild he loves his frisbee above everything else.

Now my female cat, her absolute favorite is a hair bobble. She'll hunt them out and play for hours with it. The male cat just likes to sleep :)

And Lil, your dogs just weird :lol: j/p

5. lil96

lil96 New Member

Luther i think is just really weird!

When we were in obdience class, he was always perfect, picked things up on the first try and did them perfect! The teacher would always use him as the example of how to do something. WE did this with the clicker and he was always like oh what is that noise? sorta frightened sort suprised and if I tried to give him a dog treat he would only take it after coaxingthen usually set it dow. But if it was human food yummmm. He has the weirdest personailty I wish more people could come meet him!

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Some dogs, if they weren't given toys as puppies, have no idea what to do with them. You actually have to teach them how to play with them.

Nala LOVES plush toys with squeakers, but she rips them up and tries to eat them so I can't give them to her anymore. :(

Jamiya

7. Casey's favorite toy is a plush yellow kitten with a SQEAKER (oh my) drives me nuts! Freebie's fav is Casey :D

Susan

8. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Harley's fav. are plush toys with little squeakers in them. This is a treat once in a while because the only purpose is for her to rip them tho shreds so I have to watch her and then pick up the carnage after.

But, she loves to play ball, any ball, any size, if its round, she will instantly fall in love with it. She also has a rubber ring we play frisbee with and she loves it.

The bad thing with the frisbee is she is such a girl, she WON'T jump. No matter what. She will stand and watch the ring come towards her face and hit her, but she wont' jump for it. Oh well, we all have our quirks.

9. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

We stopped wasting our money on that stuff. Our guys are just like most little kids, nice gift in a real nice box need I say more. We give our Jack R. plastic pop bottles and she has a blast. We also give them apples and just gave our little one a lemon to play with and that was funny. Like to play tug with our Collie use old belts.
    Hot days in the summer we give them all frozen koolaide. Who needs to spend money when you have stuff all over your home for them. Oh our female Pyr has her towel she carries around with her and sleeps on it at night.

2pyrs

10. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Tennis balls, Empty toilet paper/paper towel rolls, Anything plush that they can rip apart in 5 seconds,Pig ears and their favorite is the Tug-O-War Sock my husband made for them.

11. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

My husky was abused all her life and she does not know how to play with toys. She wants to I think, she will get them in her mouth and whine. We have tried to teach her. She seems content to just carry some of her favorites around with her or bury them. Now bones on the other hand she will tear one of those up!

My poms love anything they can get their little mouths on. FiFi's favorite toys are actually my scruntchies. If I ever cant find one I just have to go her bed. Suprisingly she doesnt tear them up. (I know you are all probly grossed out by that but I am being honest here! lol)

12. nern

nern New Member

Both of my dogs really like their rawhide chews and squeaky toys. Natalie does'nt even chew her rawhide she just likes to lay with it....she quickly destroys squeaky toys but its fun to watch her play with them.

13. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Laika's new obsession is a nasty yellow fuzzy tennis ball. She will not pay attention to anything else except that ball.

Now Nana on the other hand adores EVERYTHING, chewable or not. Wether its a sock or a food dish, she will push it around or carry it around like she owns it. Its not hard buying toys for her.