1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

convict cichlids eating their eggs

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by trevor-rex, Nov 11, 2004.

1. trevor-rex

trevor-rex New Member

ok title says it, ive had three sets up eggs by some convict cichlids and they keep eating them whats up with this? one female ate her eggs twice in a row and the other female ate her batch as well. its a 35 gallon with three female and two males in it. after they already ate the eggs they guard the area they were in the same. Any details i left out let me know as they might be able to help you answer this, i appreciate any help anyone here can give me on this particular situation.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Sometime cichlids just aren't good parents.

Also, your tank is overstocked. You really need at least 55 gallons for 5 convicts (and even that's pushing it).

-Chelle

3. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Probaly are scared of the ohers eating them

4. trevor-rex

trevor-rex New Member

once the eggs are layed and fertilized do the parents have to be there for the fish to live?

5. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Im pretty sure they need to fan the eggs, Im not sure if this works with cons but i know T_Chelle made an egg tumber to hatch her african eggs

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Egg tumblers only work with mouth brooders.

But you are correct, the eggs do need to be fanned/aerated or they'll get fungus. It is possible to raise the eggs yourself, but I think it's pretty difficult. I've never tried it myself, but I bet you could find some info if you did a google search.

-Chelle

7. trevor-rex

trevor-rex New Member

ok ill just leave in one breeding pair and hope for the best, one more question... how long will it take for a convict to lay more eggs? i heard it was ussually 3 weeks but i wanted to check here as well

8. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Well If they have to fry to waste their time on it took my old ones 2 weeks :roll: But when they were caring for fry it took them like 1 month