1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dog terrified to go for walks... HELP!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by harrilb, Apr 20, 2006.

1. harrilb

harrilb New Member

Hello, I have a 5 month old mastiff puppy. He has recently become TERRIFIED when we go on walks. As soon as we get out of site of the house, he stops and just freaks out and does nothing but pull trying to get back to the house. He is really good on his leash and has no problems in places like the petstore. He is also well socialized having 3 other dogs and enrolled in puppy classes. I dont know what to do. I try to comfort him and encourage him to walk further but he just refuses! And since he weighs about 70 lbs, I cant just pick him up or pull him along. He is very strong. Has anyone else had problems with their puppies getting terrified on walks? I have also tried taking different routes thinking it had to be a certain house or dog territory he was afraid of. But nothing seems to be working.... He wasn't like this a few weeks ago and has been on walks many times.

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

wow, something has had to terrify him, i have no experience hopefuly someone can chime in

3. hermann muenster

hermann muenster New Member

My first berner was scared of a house down the street that had two huge lion statues flanking their driveway! She just wouldn't go past them!!!
    At first it was funny to see her back off from them - but then it was a problem because we needed to pass that house to continue our walk.

What I did was -
    I would take her out for a walk and just go up and down my driveway a few times and then go back in the house. The next day I went a little farther - to the neighbors drive. And then go home. I did this for couple of days.
    Then I gradually added more houses over the next few weeks.
    The big day came and we reached the house lions! I walked her to about 10 or 15 feet of the statues - then turned around and went home!!!
    A few more times of getting closer and closer until I was finally able to walk past them without any incident!

I admit it took some time and the walks were short in the beginning - but she got over her fear and learned to trust me. We don't have any problems walking anywhere with her now.

Lots of conversation and praise, and a pocket full of treats can also help a pup forget their worries!

4. rogandnor

rogandnor New Member

dog terrified to go for walks

Maybe the dog has a health problem. Sometimes, it's not that their terrified as much as they may be terrified to walk because something is wrong with them inside. They cannot speak and so therefore, maybe he should be cheked out. It happened with one of my dogs once. Eventually, it showed up in a wabble one night. The next day we had him at the vet. He was exrayed, a large spleen was found. It was cancerous. We had to put him to sleep that day. Dogs have ways of telling us things by their actions, that is how they speak to us. Unfortunately so !!

5. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

Do not comfort him or reprimand him if he shows fear at any time. You need to be in charge and show the dog that he has nothing to fear. You should talk to him in a perfectly normal voice - tell him a story, read aloud to him, sing a song, anything to let him know that you are not the slightest bit bothered by walking by strangers and that therefore there is no reason for him to be worried. It is very important at this stage not to allow anyone to approach too closely. If necessary explain that he is a dog in training. Do not be tempted to rush this stage of the program. You should carry it out over at least a week, and in as many locations as possible. Only when you are absolutely sure that your dog is quite relaxed and confident in this situation should you gradually move nearer to the pedestrian traffic

6. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Ditto. By doing either of these you are actually reinforcing this behaviour.

7. harrilb

harrilb New Member

Thanks everyone for your advice! I will have to try it out. He only gets that way in the neighborhood. He is fine in public with people, other dogs, etc. It is only when we are walking alone in the neigborhood. Hmm, I will try singing or something :)

Thanks again!