1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Caught a stray finch - best next step?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Pea, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Pea

Pea New Member

I caught a stray zebra finch today when she came to perch on my bird's cage. She may have been free a while because she's a strong flyer, but I'm under the impression that it's too cold here in Nor California for these birds to survive long in the wild.

She's in a separate cage in the same room as mine but clearly wants to be with mine. She's basically calm, eating, and drinking water. I've got her cage partially covered until she gets used to us. I'm concerned about mites and other parasites she may have picked up while free; wondering how best to proceed - how much can a vet tell about her health by looking at her? They're pretty quick to recommend blood panels around here; do you suggest this? How long should I keep them separate? Anything else you'd recommend I do before trying them together?

Thanks.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Its best to have her checked over by a vet but if you do not want the blood work done then tell them you don't want it done, they are supposed to respect yourwishes.

Finches are easily stressed and will die from stress very quickly so what your doing by keeping the cage partially covered is good.

You need to keep them seperated for around 30 days this will give you an idea if he/she is sick, Make sure the cages are not placed close to each other during this time, they can be in the same room but at the other side of the room well away from your other bird.

Mites can easily be irradicated if you can get a mite spray from your vets or local pet store, How it usually works is to cover 3 sides of the cage, remove food and water dishes, and then spray from the top of the cage if possible if not the spray in an upwards direction but not too high that it just goes on the cover..
    Once you done this cover the front of the cage but leave about a one inch gap at the bottom to let air circulate, leave the cage like this for about 30 minutes then remove the cover and you should have a mite free bird. There is other sprays that you use directly on the bird but i would recommend a vet doing this..

What is your other bird, as finches should never be put in with larger birds like, budgies or cockatiels as these will bully the finch and hurt it, But they can usually be placed safely in with other finches, small canaries.

Hope i have helped a little.

Mike

3. Pea

Pea New Member

Thanks for your reply, Mike. I've moved the new finch across the room as you suggested and will take her to the vet once she seems better acclimated to her cage. I don't mind the blood panel if there are good reasons for running it - just not quite satisfied that it belongs to the pre-illness screening phase.... Or maybe I just miss old-fashioned vets!

My other bird is a zebra finch. She seems satisfied with the current arrangement. She's been a happy singlet for about 3 years - perfectly content when her mate escaped so I'd like to give careful consideration as to whether to put them together or not. If anybody has any experience to share here that'd be great.

I'm very happy to have found this forum. Best to you...

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Once you know that the new finch is healthy then i don't see no reason not to try and put them together if this is what you are wanting, I would start by having the cages side by side for a couple of days and see how your bird reacts.

Once you think they might be ok then you can put them together, Finches are not usually territorial so shouldn't really have a problem.

When i used to have Zebra finches they seem to love getting new friends they did have a couple of squabbles for the first couple of days due to a stranger but then they all became best friends..

Mike

5. kguzman112

kguzman112 New Member

Hey Mike, I dont mean to be pushy or annoying, im actually kinda impatient lol, but can you take a look at my post "Pairing two lovebirds, one old and one new." I would really like to hear your opinion and advice. It would mean a lot. I hope this gets to you. I tried to find your email but couldnt. Hopefully this notifies you. Thanks again.
    Kevin