1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Cat bites my Pit

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by StormyMoon, Feb 14, 2005.

1. StormyMoon

StormyMoon New Member

OK as I stated before I have a 5 month old pit we also have a 4 month old cat who attacks the pit strange turn around I know but yes Gizmo attacks Mystical and I dont even think the cat realizes he is a cat and not a dog.
    But the reason I am writting is because now I am noticing some patches of hair /balding spots on my pit around chest and leg area where cat has bitten her.
    Should I take her into the vet I worry because I have seen so many pit owners struggle with mange but dont know if I should wait and see its not pimply red or any of that but it looks terrible to see white blotches in her fur like that.
    We did find Gizmo a home he will be going to on Tuesday because I was told that cats carry so many infections in the mouth and their bites can be very bad, I have 5 children who are very playful and kitten does like to bite.
    So now to deal with Mysticals hair loss and what I should put on it I have cleaned her very well but worry that is not enough!
    Thanks for any help.

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Cats can cause very bad infections from bites in people, I owuld think its the same way in a dog, I would take your dog to the vet to rule out any infection o rother causes

3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon New Member

Ok thank you !

4. Freedom

Freedom New Member

Hair loss around the chest and legs is a very common sign of demodectic mange. This, unfortunately, is very common among this breed, but if caught early can get cleared up very quickly. I suggest you to take her to vet to get some skin scrapings to see if it is demo mange or not. If she does have demo mange tell them you want to use Ivomec to get rid of it. If they tell you they want to do dips to get rid of it say NO, demo dips are a pain in the ass. Trust me I have done them plenty of times at work and they are not fun at all for the person or dog. Ivomec is a very effecient, and inexpensive way to nip demo in the bud. Ivomec is a cattle and swine mite killer which farmers and ranchers use. If your vet does not carry Ivomec, go to your local feed store i.e Tractor Supply, etc.. and they should have it there. Good luck.

5. StormyMoon

StormyMoon New Member

Ok yea i think I know what your talking about when I went to get the spectrom 6 at the feed store they gave me a paper on some stuff that cleared up mange and even helped with gaining back hair growth it was like 12.99 for a small jar and 24 something for a larger jar of it! They come in round plastic ontainers right?

6. Freedom

Freedom New Member

this is what Ivomec looks like, also do NOT give it to your dog unless you have seen a vet first and they have verified that she has demo mange. If she does then ask them to calculate how much ivomec you should give her if they don't use ivomec as a treatment for demo.
    [​IMG]

7. maxkicker

maxkicker New Member

theres stuff you can usually get at the feed store called happy jacks mange medicine ..ive used it on three dogs in my life and it definently works just make sure you dont have your dog running in the house because it has a god aweful smell that consumes the area

definently give happy jacks a shot though because i tried 2 diff meds from the vet to cure my bruiser and none of it worked and when i finally found a seller of happy jacks it took 3 weeks for him to get all his hair back and healthy ,hes been good for about 4 mos now

8. StormyMoon

StormyMoon New Member

I was looking at some stuff called Nu- Stock
    they use it on live stock but said it was good on mange thats what i was talking about earlier http://www.nustock.com/
    Texas weather right now is very dry so I am hoping that it is just the dry weather and that the cat bite and scratches just irritated her skin a bit and that we can fix it she isnt raw or anything like that infact she is still sleeping in our bed I dont see any puss or anything gross yet but was worried about the hair loss part it looks bad.

here are some patches you can see on her chest

[​IMG]

And then on her neck

[​IMG]

9. maxkicker

maxkicker New Member

im anything but an expert im 20 and origanaly from the country my father didnt believe in vets so we always used to ask the local farmers and whoever
    i never heard of nustock. i can tell you that on my dogs that had it it always started on the face and the tail its hard to tell on some color skins but you should be able to notice more sheding than usuall also my dogs never really got raw at first stages that i can remember bruisers tail got blistered but nothing else
    anyhow happyjacks is a safe product i can vouch for even if your dog doesnt have mange it wont hurt him

i cantt say ive used anything else cept that crazy stuff the vet gave me (that didnt work) but bruiser had to drink that.. id bet any lotion out there has agood chance of working

i hope it isnt mange but if it is its ok your dog will be fine .good luck

10. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

Not that this has anything to do with dog/cat bites, but a few years ago, my husband had a lump around his neck. He went to his doctor to have it looked at. The doctor said he needed to have a biopsy of it to rule out lymphoma. We were sooooooooooo worried that he may have lymphoma.
    Anyway, the biopsy results came back and Thank the Lord guess what my husband had? CAT SCRATCH FEVER. He never even remembers getting bit by a cat.
    I never thought it was a real thing. Hey, I'll take it over lymphoma any day of the week.

11. honeybears

honeybears New Member

susan, if your husband just got scratched he could get CSF, what a scare, usuually CSF turns up as lumps in the armpit.

honeybear

12. StormyMoon

StormyMoon New Member

See that is what I worry is happening to my pit she could have cat scratch fever but they told me it would be 38.00 for the visit and 18.00 for the scrapping test thing...
    which really isnt that bad i supose and then from there they said if it was mange from mites they would give an oral med.

13. StormyMoon

StormyMoon New Member

Thanks Max
    I hope it isnt either I dont see any on her tail at all, but its all on arms ,chest area and a little on the face still a few weeks later no red rash
    it does bother her so i am taking her in. Its hard for me because We are a low income family so I am collecting money each week so that I can pay for vet bill. This week she has the apointment and if its not mange and just an irritation from the cat that still is bad... and hopefully they will just say use over counter meds.

14. StormyMoon

StormyMoon New Member

The nurse did say something about Ivomec she said they would have to weigh her and would have to do scrapping to make sure it is mange.
    :)

I will be so glad when she is all fixed up! She seems over all happy but I see her sitting she looks sad to me so they are going also give her a health check up and let me know what else she needs.

15. someday

someday New Member

Glad to hear it's all getting taken care of. :) Mystical will be happier i'm sure..
    Ok..I never knew cat scratch fever was a real thing...You learn something new on these boards every day...lol...the song will never be the same..

Oh..and don;t worry...our cat attacks my pit as well...she used to latch on to her tail or legs while she was eating and Annie would just ignore her...but she tried to swipe her nose one time while she got her favorite treat in the world(a can of pedigree...it's a very special treat..since I think it's awful for her) and Annie sounded like a lion..she didn;t touch the cat,but she gave her "the look"...the cat hasn't messed with her while she was eating again..hehe

16. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

If at all possible, please get the area scraped and checked for demo mange. If in fact she does have it, the earlier you catch it, the less time it can take to get rid of it. Even in the early stages, it is a long process to completely get it under control. Demodectic Mange is an immune system problem, therefore can reappear later in the dogs life during stressful times. It is advised to have a dog with the problem spayed. There are a couple of recent threads regarding this matter on this forum and the All Dogs forum, too. I fought it with Piper for @ 3 months - but she is now doing great. Good luck - hopefully Mysitcal's problem will be the SCF, but just in case it's not, please have it checked!

17. StormyMoon

StormyMoon New Member

Gizmo would hang on to Mysticals face we had to put him in the pet carrier at night cause they all slept in my room and would keep us up at night running over us and playing all nite lol so we put Gizmo in a pet carrier but we since have given him to someone with no dogs!
    This can had a death wish I supose would pounce on Mysticals face and hold on claws and teeth but they loved each other mystical for about 3 days would go to the pet carrier to see where Gizmo was but I think she is fine with it now.

18. StormyMoon

StormyMoon New Member

We have a final apointment on Monday it was hard working around my husbands scedual since we will be going to mexico in about 4 weeks I need her to be healthy before we go do you know about how long it takes to take effect? SHe has it very lightly but the lady said that its not contagous and that is why my other dog has not gotten it!
    Which is a good thing!
    SHe was so pretty when I first got her you said something about stress maybe family changes was the stress for her ?
    I have five loud children but she is just as loud and verbal as they are!
    She keeps me up at night now barking at every person who walks down the street!

We are going to have that fixed some what cause I still want her to warn us when people walk up to the house but she is barking at people way accross lol... so we will see I am excited to get her into puppy kinder that will be so much fun they teach me how to train her. Instead of doing it all for me.

Oh and she will be fixed I dont want any puppies I have my other dog fixed but it seems to have made my rottie want to run away even more than she did before she has a strong urge to be on the other side of the fence.

19. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

Please don't get discouraged when I tell you this, but it took three rounds of medication (about 2 1/2 months) before Piper was completely back to normal. I saw definite improvement within 2 weeks, but it wasn't until her 4th scraping that we had a negative result. She did not have a terrible case. Her's began on her front legs (they are white so it showed badly). This cleared up during the first course of RX, but it became noticable behind her ear and when looking at her from behind, her back looked as if it had been "moth-eaten". Her back had the biggest problem, therefore it took the longest to completely go away. During the time all of this began, I had sent her to Obedience School (two weeks, she only came home over the weekend), she was spayed and she was growing at a rate of 2-3 pounds per week. The vet said either of these or the combination could have been enough stress to compromise her immune system. The best news is that it is manageable and as long as it is kept under control, will be no real threat to your baby. The Ivomectin was a pain with her, because she could not take it on an empty or full stomach - she would throw up. I had to feed her, wait about an hour, then give her the medicine. Before each new treatment, the vet would weigh her and up the dose accordingly, in order to try and treat her with the least amount possible. She felt bad the first few days, but was back to normal quickly, so do not let this alarm you. Also, depending on the Heartworm preventitive she is you, you will want to skip the Heartworm medicine the month(s) she is taking this. Be sure and ask your vet. Piper takes Heartgard and Ivomectic is the main ingredient in it. I am not an expert or vet by any means, but I have done a lot of research and this is all still very fresh in my mind. Don't be afraid to ask your vet questions. I would be happy to share anyting I know about it with you. My vet rescued a Pit puppy a couple of weeks ago and my husband and I helped to find it a good home. Come to find out, the poor little thing also had this problem and in undergoing treatment. I am beginning to wonder if this is a problem Pit's are especially prone to? Until Piper's incident, I had never heard of it. Let me know what the scraping reveals ... good luck! Here is a picture of her Demo-free (I posted this recently, so sorry to those who have already seen it.)

[​IMG]

20. StormyMoon

StormyMoon New Member

ok I took mystical to vet was an ok visit but was hoping that he would sit with me and talk with me instead I found my self running behind the vet talking t o the back of his head he was sweet with her, he thought it was cute that every time he spoke to her she would piddle on the floor lol...
    But I was not happy with the way things went I felt I had Questions that deserved an answer.
    He said that her case was very mild and for as long as she has had it , if it were a bad case she would have been raw by now.
    She has now had it for about 8 weeks and its not progressing or turning red.. It is just patches of fur gone no red dots certain areas fur has grown back on its own. She is only 5 months still just a baby he said this is comon when a dog goes through stress such as being moved from a home and into another where before she had no kids around her then all of a sudden she was in a home of 5 children she had to deal with.

So she has had a lot to get use to plus a kitten and I think now things are starting to settle down for her we found a new home for the kitten and she has found her place in our pack.. :D