Auspet.com, resources for pet owners. Dogs, cats, fish & aquarium, horse, and birds questions & answars. Pet directory, message boards, vet advice & articles - Resources for Pet Owners World-Wide

Home | Classifieds | Articles | Pet Directory | LinkXchange | Advertise here
Ebook Downloads | Amzn Shop | Make Default Homepage | Bookmark

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When do guppy fry get their color?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Auspet.com Forum Index Fish and Aquarium - all types
kriskelley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: When do guppy fry get their color? Reply with quote

I bought a male guppy at a local pet store and noticed that in one of the female tanks, they had babies, so i asked if i could buy the babies. i have a 5 year old and thought it would be neat to watch them grow. Anyway, they gave me 4 fry. 3 of them are still alive, and TINY!!! I think one is about 2-3 weeks old and the other 2 i think are about 5-7 days old. They are all almost translucent except for their eyes. When can i tell what color they will be and what gender?

Sponsors

t_chelle16

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been forever since I bred guppies, but I believe color starts showing up on the males somewhere around 4 - 5 weeks.

-Chelle
LJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: 3 guppies became over 150 in less then 6 months Reply with quote

The first signs of colour are in their tails. The family of guppies I have are from the one set of parents. So they all have a similar trait, which is the males got the stronger orange and black colour from their mother and the females have a green & black colour from their father. I have also observed that the older ones, (about 8 months old now) have much more vivid colours thant the parents. Generally, the females are bigger and rounder and the males are long and slim. They tend to follow the females around. I have had to separate the older females from males to stop in breeding. If you give them a well balanced diet, lots of fileterd light, and lots of room to swim they will grow healthy and colourful. I have some with some zebra danios and other with some panda catfish, and they all seem to get along. The snails help to keep the tank clean and there is lots of plants for them to nibble on and for the babies to hide in if they need to.
kriskelley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, i don't know exactly how old they are, or what color their parents were,but they are doing good, and growing, hopefully soon we will get some color. I think my females are pregnant now. The orange one is acting weird, hiding in the house alot, and moving slow. One side of her belly is bigger than the other it's kinda funny. She has a pinkish orange spot instead of black or brown. Anyway, she's really fat. So, i've been watching her very close.
halinar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm right there with you. I bought 5 guppies about a month ago and now I have at least 30 babies in my nursery tank. It's been a long while since I've had them either so this is a relearning experience for me also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Auspet.com Forum Index -> Fish and Aquarium - all types All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1